|It's pretty, right?|
|I used to rock back in 2006.|
- I have to write 11 random things about myself that you may or may not want to know.
- Then I have to answer 10 questions that Angela has come up with. It should be 11 questions, but
she's a cheatershe doesn't like odd-numbered things. I wore the number 11 for a few different teams when I played hockey, so I'm down with it. "Go double ones!" as Hubs used to say.
- Next, it's my turn to come up with 11 questions for my Liebster nominees.
- Finally, I'll nominate 11 other bloggers for the award, notify them, and link to them. And the cycle continues. Please no award-backs.
11 Random Things About Me That You May or May Not Want to Know (Too Bad)
- I was diagnosed with bipolar and anxiety disorders in 1994 and have been on medication ever since. Except for a few rough years, it has been managed with medication. Although I don't write about living with bipolar every single post, it does affect me daily. I'm very open about having this disease in order to fight the stigma about mental illness. Note that I have bipolar, I am not bipolar. I'm also happy to talk with anyone about the disease, whether it's to answer questions or to share experiences.
- I used to play hockey. I started in 1995 when I was 26 and played forward (like in the picture above), then switched to goalie when one of the teams I played on needed one. I mostly played goalie and loved it, but I think I'm a better forward. I didn't play straight from 1995 through 2007, when I quit; I mostly played on and off so I still consider myself a beginner...
...but my husband's photography skills make me look like a pro in this shot.
I either just made a blocker save (with my right hand) or was about to make one.
OK, maybe not a pro, but I at least look like I know what I'm doing.
- When I went back to college at age 27, which is why I had to quit playing hockey (that time), I wanted to be a veterinarian. Math and science were never my strong subjects, so I became an English major because I can read.
- Despite having been married twice, I've never had a wedding. The first time, I eloped. The second time, I was scheduled for surgery for chronic sinusitis but my student health insurance was going to expire the week before. While I was still searching for a full-time job, Boyfriend already had one. We knew we would get married some day, but we went to City Hall immediately to make it official. And so I could be on his insurance. And he became Hubs.
- When Hubs and I were still dating, he broke my face. We were in the park playing catch one afternoon. He threw the ball high up into the air; it should have been an easy catch but I was too busy talking talking talking and forgot to move my glove. The ball landed on my right eye socket and I ended up with an orbital blowout fracture that resulted in surgery.
- I'm missing a vertebra -- the L5 to be exact. My back never ever bothered me until this past summer, not because of the missing vertebra but because of
agingnormal wear-and-tear. According to my chiropractor, this congenital anomaly is common to 10% of the population. Wikipedia, however, says it's common to only 3%, and Wikipedia knows everything.
- I collect Star Wars Legos.
Tauntauns need to eat, too.
- I am no domestic goddess except when it comes to laundry. However, I'm afraid of irons (and curling irons and flat irons) so I buy Hubs wrinkle-resistant shirts. I hate to clean. My cooking skills are limited, and I don't like to cook anyway. Though not a vegetarian, I hate to touch raw meat, especially chicken breasts because they look too flesh-like. Well, they are flesh. I can bake cookies, but only with Hubs helping out. Otherwise, I burn myself taking cookie sheets out of the oven because apparently, I don't know how to use pot holders.
- I was never a cat person. I hated them. A former roommate had a cat and that thing freaked me out. It was so quiet and would sneak up on you. But back when I adopted the Princess, it was really hard to find apartments in Chicago that allowed dogs so I gave cats a try. Now I'm a full-fledged stay-at-home cat mom. (Sounds better than being on disability, don't you think?) And I've since realized that my roommate's quiet little cat was actually well-behaved.
- I love love LOVE cop dramas: Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI: NY, Bones, and all of the Law & Orders.
- I make necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Here is a shameless plug for my new shop on Etsy: Bluestocking Jewelry.
10 Questions From Angela
- As I love books, you probably could have predicted this one, what’s your favorite book and why?
I have several favorite books, but seeing as I have bipolar, one of my favorites is Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. WSS tells the story from the madwoman in the attic's point of view, you know, the one in Jane Eyre. It takes place before the events in JE and describes how Rochester met his wife (the madwoman). It addresses British colonialism (which is why Hubs had to read it for class), but that isn't the reason it's my favorite. Also, I love a good backstory, and whose backstory would be more interesting that the madwoman's?
- What other bloggers (if any) do you currently follow? Please leave links.
Lemon Drop Pie -- it's not a cooking blog, so don't go looking for a recipe for lemon drop pie. Ginny Marie, the author, blogs about her family and life in general.
Noon Observations -- despite being "mortal enemies" (her words, not mine) because she's a Michigan fan and I back Ohio State, we've had some very good book discussions.
Barroness Barren -- a childfree blog that is hilarious, though probably not to everyone's taste.
Disclaimer: If I didn't mention your blog, and I do follow a lot of blogs, please don't take offense.
- What are three reasons that you think my [Angela's] blog is super fucking awesome (because of course you do)?
First of all because you blog about living with bipolar and are not ashamed of it. Second, you swear in your posts, and although Hubs and I talk like sailors in real life, for some reason I'm hesitant to swear on my blog or even on Facebook. You go, girl! Third, you clearly have an excellent sense of humor.
- Do you believe in love at first sight? If so, would you also be willing to admit that you are highly delusional?
No, but I believe in lust at first sight. I think a lot of people confuse love with lust on this first sight thing.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would spend your money on?
I'd pay off my student loans, what else?
- Have you ever had a cool celebrity encounter? Please describe.
I don't know how cool this is, but in high school, my boyfriend and I were about to enter a restaurant. Of course I wasn't looking where I was going: my boyfriend was behind me and I had my head turned to talk to him. Next thing I know, I thought I had walked into a brick wall, but I knew it was someone leaving the restaurant. I turned around to tell this person to watch where the fu@k (see?) they were going when I realized it was Mike Singletary who was a linebacker for the Chicago Bears at the time. He muttered, "Excuse me." I nearly $hit (see?) my pants. I also think this was a precursor to my not paying attention when Hubs broke my face.
- Okay: What’s your porn star name? – Name of First Pet + The Road You Grew Up On =
- List three to five songs that have been in heavy rotation on your (iPod/CD player/cassette tape) lately.
"Gun" by Emiliana Torrini; "She" by the London Suede; "Palaces of Montezuma" by Grinderman; "Feeling Good" by Muse; and "The Concept" by Teenage Fanclub. Note that the first 4 songs have all been featured on the BBC cop drama, Luther. Did I mention that I love cop dramas?
- Do you believe in miracles?
No, but I do believe in saints. When/If I pray, it's always to a patron saint of something because I'm weird like that.
- If I sent you my address, would you please mail me a pair of underwear to make up for those disappointing chain letters?
11 Questions for My Liebster Nominees
- Why did you start blogging? Of course I'd ask this.
- Which genre do you prefer reading: fiction, non-fiction/memoir, poetry, other (sci-fi/fantasy, young adult, mysteries,/thrillers, romance etc.)?
- What is your favorite recipe? Please share by either posting it on your blog (let me know if you do!). Though I don't cook, I'm always on the look-out for new recipes that Hubs can try. This is how I contribute to the cooking. He has tasked me with this.
- Beer, wine, cocktails/spirits, or none?
- A friend asked this recently on Facebook: if there was a potion you could take to live another 1,000 years without aging, would you drink it? Why or why not?
- Have you seen any of the Star Wars movies? If so, which was your favorite? If not, how come?
- Have you ever had annoying neighbors? What was annoying about them?
- Do you play a musical instrument? If so, what do you play?
- Do you, like me, think the term "Black Friday" sounds like an evil, Satanic, devil-worship feast day?
- What was the last movie you saw? Did you like it? No spoilers, please!
- What was the last book you read? Did you like it? No spoilers, please!
My (Incomplete List of) Liebster Nominees